Monday, July 9, 2012

Friends, Patterns and Post

Yesterday I had some friends round to sew. Carolyn had had a tidy up in her sewing room and come across Jan Patek kits she had bought a long time ago and had never made. They were all great patterns and yesterday she gave me the Coxcombs and Stars pattern and kit. She feels that she will never make it and that I would. How wonderful is that. There are 4 bags of beautiful fabrics in Jan Patek plaid cloth bags. Oh! I'd like to make it, now. Thank you Carolyn, very much.




Today in the Post I got the pattern I bought from Dawn . It is called Calico Paradise and along with it she also sent me a large piece of V & A fabric. Thank you soo much, I love the pattern and the fabric.




There was also another postal bag with threads I had ordered from Aurifil. I needed 4 more colours for my wool applique. This is called Aurifil Lana, it is wool thread on spools so I can buttonhole stitch my felted wool applique on my sewing machine or use it for hand sewing. It gives a wonderful finish because it doesn't 'bite' into the felted wool like ordinary thread does. I use 'Topstitch' machine needles that have a large eye and turn the top tension down. The first quilt I used it on was my Settler's Pride 2009 and I've been collecting them ever since.




My hand sewing has almost stopped with my 'Golfer's Elbow' but I've been sewing on the machine and also making leaves for my vine, so no photos of my projects today. I really need to get out and prune the roses but that's another job on hold for the moment.







7 comments:

Janine said...

score ... plaids!

Lida said...

What a lot of fantastic mail was that! You must have enjoyed seeing it all arriving! Beautiful fabric and I too love the Lana thread, but never used on the machine, will try it now too! Hope your elbow will recover soon, greetings
Lida

Anonymous said...

Lovely Jan kit! And Calico Paradise is going to be beautiful! I need to check out the threads :o) Very pretty!

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful fabrics and kit, wonderful goodies from your friends.
I have the lana thread and have used it for hand sewing, but have never tried it on my machine.

Debbie

Dawn said...

What a fabulous week for you! All those packages. Love the V&A fabrics.
I am on the lookout for just the right purple for the back of Calico Paradise.
Looking forward to yours!!

Ann-Mari said...

Lovely patterns and fabrics. Looking forward to see your work on these.

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Hello! I have just found your nice blog and love your quilts. Can't wait to find time to look at more of your posts! I am starting a collection of this wool thread myself to use on my next wool quilt. I see you mentioned Settlers Pride from Blackberry Primitives. I designed a quilt for them this year. All wool quilts are so wonderful to work on...glad I found your blog and am a new follower!