Wednesday, September 14, 2016

There's been a bit of progress on a few items.

Back in March I finished making this quilt, Mrs Millar's Journey and sent it off to be quilted.



Absolutely beautiful, with the centre detailed and feathers around and between the applique.



I entered it into my Guild quilt show. The photo has turned out rather dark but it lets you see the whole quilt.


This is a quilt by Wendy Williams and the pattern has been/is available in the Quiltmania magazine month by month. I bought the whole pattern just before the magazine started having it. The  designer made the original quilt with wool felt.
I had intended to make it using the hand dyed and felted wool that I have, but then decided to make it using my Japanese Taupes so it has ended up totally different with the needleturn applique.

I only took 2 photos while I was making it, which is most unusual for me. One after I had finished the first half and one as I was about to sew the binding on.
I made the pattern in two pieces so that it was easier to applique without having a handful of material to hold all the while.


This is the second photo hanging up outside while the sun was shining. 


 and the last photo was taken at the quilt show where I won the ribbon for Best Use of Colour. This was so exciting and totally unexpected.



   



14 comments:

Phyllis said...

Beautiful and very special quilts! Your fabric choices are wonderful and your quilter did a great job!

Karen said...

Beautiful in needle turn applique. A lot more time spent stitching it but worth every minute.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Delightful! And congratulations on your ribbon. Thank you for sharing.

Pam said...

WOW! I love all your quilts. Japanese taupes are so interesting. They seem and are subdued but when used as you have just blend and talk to each other and are gorgeous!

WoolenSails said...

I am in love with your quilt, that is so beautiful and beautifully made, as well as the quilting you had done on it.
You always amaze me with your work, I seem to get more behind as the months go by.

Debbie

susis quilts said...

really wonderful, love both,congratulations to the ribbon,susi

Susan said...

Congratulations, they are both beautiful. Very exciting to have them in an exhibition.

pandchintz said...

Congratulations on both quilts, Dorothy!

Nat said...

So beautiful! Congratulations!

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Congratulations on winning the Best Use of Colour Award! Such an inspired choice to use the Japanese taupes.

Summer said...

Your quilts are very beautiful ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Lori said...

Love your quilts! Congrats on the deserved ribbon! Its a beauty!!

charis Anna's mum said...

I have only just found your blog and think that your quilts are beautiful. I especially love your Round the Garden quilt. I have wanted to make this quilt for a while, and have decided to treat myself to the pattern for Christmas, after seeing your version. I love to needle turn and think that the colours that you have chosen are stunning. Thank you for the inspiration!

Lola said...

Hi Dorothy. I live in California, US and I have been looking for the Mrs Miller's Journey pattern. Can you tell me where you purchased the pattern? I am so desperately in love with this pattern

Thank you for your time
Lola