Thursday, April 4, 2013

What else can a girl do

First there was the long weekend of Easter and then the builder arrived to update and replace the plaster on the walls of the laundry. The walls were covered with cement sheets that contain asbestos. So what else can a girl do when you stay home for workmen but SEW!   Yay!
This a photo taken yesterday after the old walls had been removed and today the new plasterboard went up and tomorrow the cornice and architraves. Even better he expects to finish on Saturday.


Here's a sneak peek at what I am sewing. Not my usual run-of-the-mill project or fabric colours but then, it's not for me. The pattern is called Swoon by Bonnie and Camille. The blocks are 24'' and are made with a fabric range called Ruby. There will be 12 blocks, big enough for a kingsize bed. I've made one each day so there are  5 hanging up finished. This makes two quilts, in a row, sewn by machine. This one has gone together beautifully but I must admit the second block took twice as long to make because I didn't realise the green fabric is directional and there was a fair bit of unpicking to turn the pieces around in the right direction. Can I add at this point that the fabrics cut out for Block12 are both
stripes. That one should be fun to put together.



 
 
 
 








5 comments:

Susan said...

It will be lovely to have a new laundry......except for the washing! Lovely big blocks, it's good to try something a little different every now and then.

Karen said...

Interesting blocks. You are doing well piecing them. When I work with something direction, I lay the block pieces out in block form, stitch a few pieces together and lay back into place again and then hope for the best.

Heather said...

Love your Swoon blocks. I really like that pattern and may have to try it sometime soon. It looks like a fairly quick project and now I know to be careful of directional prints!

WoolenSails said...

Perfect way to spend the day while you wait and it will be nice when they are done and your walls are finished.

Debbie

Pat said...

Dorothy, love your blocks.