Message in a Bottle by Irene Blanck.








Saturday, July 19, 2014

Different fabrics


Working with different fabrics has been a lovely change from the Reproduction fabrics that I normally use. Here it the top finished. A Message in a Bottle.


 
Maybe I should call it Taupes and Linens.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Working on several items.


As you will see I have several projects on the go. First up is border no 3 for Sutton Grange. It's all prepared and ready for sewing.

 
 
These are the pieces for the border, Message in a Bottle, so they are almost all ready to be set on point, joined and attached to the quilt.

 
I got this one sandwiched this week so it's now  ready to get quilted which I am going to do myself.

 
and my Big Top quilt came back from the LAQ and I have the binding attached and ready to be sewn down on the second side. I had a large all-over pattern quilted on it. Too many seams and too much to look at with colour to then have it drowned in quilting. I will put up a full photo when the binding is sewn.

 
Plenty to keep me busy. Have a good week.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Too busy finishing off!

Just had a look and almost to the day it's taken a year to make my Jane Pizar centre.  I started it at a Marg Sampson George workshop and the first photo I have was taken at the end of June 2013. I spent this week quilting it and putting the binding on, even a label. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
 
 
Now the next top is a different story. The stars have been in the cupboard about 10 years and I still don't like them, but they came out last week when the Friday Girls at Somerset, [see FB group,] decided to make Lone Star quilts. I'm not a fan of stars but found some fabric in the stash and put these together. Project done. Whew! Now they will be donated for a charity quilt. 

 
 
I've also been hand sewing and have the first large cable border for this quilt finished and well on the way to having the right side border sewn too. I'm so much happier when I'm appliqueing.  
 
 
 
Winter has now arrive and with the wind chill was down to 2C yesterday. Brrrr!
 
 
 
 

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Winter ?

We are well into the first month of Winter and the Red Hot Pokers are showing off their beauty. The birds hang onto the tall stems and swing wildly back and forth while they get the nectar with their beaks. The vegie garden in the background is a bit empty just now. Almost time to put the seed potatoes in.
 
 
Remembering that it's Winter, I picked Roses today. Shouldn't it then be Spring or Summer? I put them in a vase beside a painting my DD did.

 
 


 I'm a member of the sewing group, Friday Girls at Somerset, they are on Facebook too and everyone except me is in the middle of making a Lone Star quilt. I had no notion to make one as I have unfinished Stars in the cupboard from years' ago. They just don't appeal. I took them in yesterday to show the' Girls' and they want me to finish them. Maybe. Later. If you are with Facebook you can have a look at everyone else's Stars.

 
 
Onto the more appealing sewing projects. I finished the last 2 blocks of Message in a Bottle.
 
 
 
and spent last night and today joining all the blocks together. I'm really pleased how the Taupes and Linen fabrics look together. Now for the borders.
 
 

 
Enjoy your sewing.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Monday, June 9, 2014

June - the start of Winter.

I've been working on Message in a Bottle blocks. I'm happy with the Taupe fabrics and the colours I am using. Most of the block with the leaves was stitched while I watched the French Open. The ladies final went for 3hours so I got plenty done.

 
 
I'm still working on the 3rd section of Di Ford's Quiltmania BOM. I found the flowers in the fabric I had chosen, for the Broderie Perse in the centre, too small to individually cut and stitch for the border as shown in the magazine so I have added a border using the whole fabric and I'm still deciding if I will add the hexagons over the top of it. The 4th section in the next issue of the magazine may be what influence's my decision.  

 
There is no rush to decide, I have more than enough to stitch meantime.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Back again

Back again with something to show for the break from blogging.
The pattern calls for 80 Drunkards Path. That's 320 dark and light squares with 320 dark and light quarter circles which are sewn on top of the squares. The first photo shows them getting made.

 
The 2nd has the first side on.

 
Both sides on.

 
The 3rd side.

 
and finally all finished. Yay!

 
and just to finish it off the last feather border.

 
This now measures 45" and it is square, even though the photo doesn't give that impression.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Finishes Continue.

This first quilt is from a pattern by Sandra Boyle. I have photos in earlier posts of the blocks being made. It is light and fresh looking but not really to my liking. I think it would have looked better with stronger coloured fabrics. Working with light or modern fabrics is being a huge learning curve for me and I still prefer the old reproduction fabrics. 




 
 

I did a workshop with Di Ford back in March while I was at Castlemaine, and last week I finally found time to get back to my Sutton Grange. I had a brown , a blue and a green fabric picked out as suitable for the sashing, but making a final decision took some time. The blue was discarded first because there is enough blue in the quilt already and the brown ended up being just too drab, so that left the green and I'm pleased with how it looks. If you can't get to one of her workshop this pattern will be available in Di's next book.


 
The three small pieces in each corner have still to be needleturned although the raw edge in the photo doesn't look too bad.