Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Hexi's are made.

 I started Briar Hill quite a while ago and made the centre and then I made other things, you know how it happens. I've been sitting in the evenings making hexi's, hexi's and more hexi's and now that they are made I've 'just' to stitch them to the background. Here is the first strip ready for sewing. The white circles are freezer paper, marking the edge for turning under.

I hung each background strip up on my craft wall and then I pinned on the hexi's flowers and the rounds, mixing and matching the fabrics and colours as I went. The rounds have one, two or three layers. It will hang there while I sew each strip.

This has now become a great 'pick up and go' project.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Working on a project

I received an email from P & B Textiles in July, asking me if I would like to work with some of their fabric. I replied that I normally used Reproduction fabrics but other ranges could be interesting.
This lovely bundle of FQ's arrived in the mail shortly after.

I then had to think of a project using 12 FQ's and remembering the Swoon pattern I had bought last year used FQ's, this worked perfectly with some white fabric from my stash. I tend to buy the same white so I used up all the strips and pieces,  leftovers, from previous quilts.
Here is a photo of my finished top.

and a photo of each block.

I think they all work well together with the variety of colours. The solid colours were a stripe which caused a bit of extra thinking when it came to cutting and sewing the 1/2square triangles but it was all good in the end.

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Lots and lots of sewing

Most of my project have finished around the same time. I quilted and put the binding on my Bundling Board. It is made with Brushed Cottons and Felted Wools and feels lovely and soft.

My Coxcombs and Stars, a Jan Patek kit given to me by a generous friend, came back from the LAQ and looks absolutely wonderful. I really like how Pam quilted it and after spending quite a few evenings sewing on the binding,[ it's a large quilt] it is finished too. This photo shows half of it, because it is too big and heavy to hold or hang up, I put it over the railing along the verandah.

The Message in a Bottle quilt now has it's final border attached  and will be the next one to go to the quilters'. I hope to find another nice pattern to use some more of my Taupe and Linen fabrics again.

and last but not least my Sutton Grange quilt has only a small bit of sewing left to be done. A couple of the corner pieces to applicate down and it will be finished too. I'm very happy how this one has turned out.