Sunday, March 27, 2011

Maltaville Album quilt

Here is block 5 of the Maltaville Album quilt. This one was fun to do and while I'm here I've found a photo of a quilt I made a number of years ago and I've always loved it so I'm using it for the heading this month. It is a pattern by Blackbird designs and is called Alma's Friendship Garden.


Today I finished the last of the applique in the centre piece of Auntie Green's quilt. I am going to make the outside vine next and then I'll applique the bunches of flowers that go between. This way I'll know exactly how much space I have for them.

I also took part in a Postcard swap and these are the postcards I have received back. There was no 'theme' this year so they are all very different.The Bernina 440 Yahoo group runs the Postcard swap at least once a year and I have a wonderful bundle of postcards now.

Monday, March 21, 2011

The Things I Keep

I keep a bag of baby/cot things in the top of the wardrobe. They have not been used recently as my Grandsons are 8 and 6, but with 2 more on the way I thought I would get it out and tidy/ wash/ repair. Just check what I had.
I knitted this shawl over 40years ago and my youngest son was the last to use it, I am now giving it to him and his wife.

I also found this lined basket. In the days before I made quilts I made things like this.  

 Do you know what this is? It was in my basket.

It's called a Daisy Wheel.
This was also in the basket. I didn't realise I had made so many of the Daisies and abandoned them. Time to get it finished.

Here is the pattern I use. It makes a pretty matinee jacket. I have made it before and it is something fancy for a little girl.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Bits and Pieces

First up is a beautiful cross-stitch I received from David as a giveaway.
He also put some embroidery thread inside for me to use. I look forward to stitching it. Thank you David.

Secondly, fabric I couldn't resist when I was at the LQS. The bottom one I thought would be a wonderful fabric for sashings.

and around the garden, the Sedum are flowering.  I think they have appreciated all the rain we have had as they are enormous this year.

and the vegies keep coming. Tonights dinner is crumbed chicken fillets and a salad. Yum!

Monday, March 14, 2011


I joined the making of the Maltaville Album quilt c1847 at Quilt Station. Margaret is drafting the patterns for us to make the quilt. These are the 1st four blocks I received this month. If I can keep making one block a week, I will be able to keep up to date. The first 3 photos have the same background but the 4th is different.Unfortunately I didn't have enough to make the quilt with either fabric so the large centre block, 44 small blocks, the border and the binding will be the same as the fabric in the first photo, and 22 small blocks will be made in the fabric of the fourth photo.

I am hoping to use a lot of different fabrics from my stash, but as all quilter's know it never seems to reduce, so that we can buy new fabrics.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Centre

I have been working on the centre of the Auntie Green's quilt. Choosing fabrics for the numerous flowers. The smaller ones were decided on reasonably quickly but I ended up cutting several different fabrics for the large flowers. I even changed the shade of yellow on the middle one a few times. The centres for the lower square flowers haven't been chosen yet and the there are some berries to be added also.

I really like using my digital camera. I find taking a photo of a project highlights what colours are just not working, so when I look at this now I'm happy with what I have chosen.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Nearly finished

 I collected signature blocks from ladies I spent time with while sewing and although there was many I didn't manage to catch up with, I felt the 60 I got was a fair number for a quilt.
I got it back from the Quilter yesterday and just have to put the binding on.

Meanwhile I needed to do more than sew leaves. I have managed to get 1/2 of them sewn. I started to get the stems on and soon realised there were even more leaves to be stitched first because they go under the edge of the stems. So those leaves are done.
After making the bias I put 1/4" fusible tape on the back so that I could iron them in place and there they will stay 'til I get to sew the edges. Under the freezer paper there is one 'cheddar' and one 'madder' red flower. It's amazing how much more I still have to add to this centre. Choosing fabrics and colours are such an enjoyable part of making a quilt. 

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Little Bit of This

...... a little bit of that.
A jacket for the winter in the 0 - 3months size. This is the perfect size to knit,it's took so little time to do. I have one more to knit in a bigger size. 

Then I got on to month 3 of the BOM, A Little Porch Time. It has dull coloured brushed cottons for the backgrounds so I took it outside to photo.It just seemed to fade right into the wood of the decking. There is a 9 patch to be made later for the empty space. 

Then I discovered a new Quilt pattern being offered on Quilt Station. Margaret is drafting the pattern for The Maltaville Album quilt and offering 4 blocks a month, so if I sew 1 a week I should keep up and finish it in 16months. Here is my 1st block.

I have also changed my heading to the Civil War Bride's quilt that I made last year. I really enjoyed stitching this it. I bought the pattern from Corliss of Threadbear