Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Finishes Continue.

This first quilt is from a pattern by Sandra Boyle. I have photos in earlier posts of the blocks being made. It is light and fresh looking but not really to my liking. I think it would have looked better with stronger coloured fabrics. Working with light or modern fabrics is being a huge learning curve for me and I still prefer the old reproduction fabrics. 




 
 

I did a workshop with Di Ford back in March while I was at Castlemaine, and last week I finally found time to get back to my Sutton Grange. I had a brown , a blue and a green fabric picked out as suitable for the sashing, but making a final decision took some time. The blue was discarded first because there is enough blue in the quilt already and the brown ended up being just too drab, so that left the green and I'm pleased with how it looks. If you can't get to one of her workshop this pattern will be available in Di's next book.


 
The three small pieces in each corner have still to be needleturned although the raw edge in the photo doesn't look too bad.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

14 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I always love seeing your quilts, you do such beautiful work. I really love the new one, that is something I would love to make.

Debbie

audrey said...

Both of your quilts are gorgeous! Love your work.:)

Every Stitch said...

You are steaming ahead there Dorothy - lovely finish. And I just love your choice of sashing for Sutton Grange - very fresh with lots of movement!

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Both quilts are beautiful! Love the colours in your Sutton Grange, the sashing fabric looks stunning.

Pat said...

Dorothy I always enjoy seeing your quilts they are so beautiful. I love the Sutton Grange the fabrics you have chose are just right.

quilting Jeannet said...

Wow, love this quilt, very nice colours.

Kleine Vingers said...

I like both quilts, the more modern one is so fresh and Di ford's designs are great and i like the colors you chose.
Greetings

Sue said...

Funny how we never seem to like working with fabric that's 'not me' but pretty sure when its quilted you will be happier.
Loving the border fabric you have chosen for your Sutton Grange.

Susan said...

I think your finish looks great, but it is hard to work with brighter fabrics when you love the reproductions. Sutton grange is looking magnificent, the green is a good choice.

Linda said...

I LOVE Sutton Grange! What a beauty :)

Chantal said...

Amazing quilt! Love your Sutton Grange. Congrats on your finish. Sorry to hear you are not in love with it because it looks perfect to me.

Lori said...

The top quilt doesn't look like a typical quilt you would make, although it is nice to try new things and re-affirm what you really do love.
The border is really lovely! Nice work!

pandchintz said...

I love the Sandra Boyle one - the fabrics are fabulous!!

Marie said...

Your Sandra Boyle quilt is great. A nice wide border might add the depth that you are missing...