Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Wonderful Day at Castlemaine

Yesterday morning up early, very early for me. I'm not a morning person. No springing out of bed done here. Linda drove us up to Castlemaine with a stop at Woodend for a coffee. The Applique Society meeting had the lady from Aurifil threads to give a talk and we learned so much about weights and thicknesses of sewing threads including the Lana, wool thread on a reel which I use for hand and machine sewing of felted wool applique. On a large piece of wool applique using it on the sewing machine with a large eye needle and the tension turned down, the Lana thread makes a wonderful blanket stitch around the edge of the piece without biting into and flattening the edge of the wool. On smaller pieces I use it to whipstitch by hand.
The Show and Tell was wonderful. I showed my Aunty Green quilt, the one in my header. There are several people making it and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them in different colourways. Here are a few photos of what I saw.

The first is the Dancing Dollies quilt.




2nd was this small Clamshell quilt.


A version of the Ann Daggs quilt.


This is the centre of a large quilt which really caught my eye.


A small section of another large quilt. I took this photo to show the quilting.

A quilt centre in the making.

All the pieces shown were wonderful.






7 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing these fabulous quilts. As always I am inspired.

Lida said...

Thanks for showing, it is really inspïring! Greetings
Lida

Dawn said...

Beautiful Dorothy!
Thank you for sharing.
I bet you girls had a fabulous chat with coffee - worth getting up early!

David said...

Wow!!! What beautiful quilts!!! Amazing work! Thanks for the photos.

Miriam said...

Wow, lots of beautiful quilts there!
Looks like the day was well worth the early start.

Anonymous said...

Hello Dorothy, I am a new Follower. These are such beautiful quilts, I love the Dancing Dollies quit in those fabrics, wow it certainly is a large quilt. The day sounds wonderful. Woodend is a lovely place, we shop there and the butcher and fruit &vegetable shops are the best ...

WoolenSails said...

Such beautiful quilts and gorgeous appliqué.
I need to slow down and practice, so when I am in a hurry, I might know what I am doing and not make so many mistakes;)

Debbie